Sunday, January 11, 2009

Goals for 2009, Part 1

Professional Goals

Keep my job: There’s a lot of turmoil in the publishing world right now, and so my highest priority here is doing everything I can to keep my job.

Start a blog that draws on some of my new expertise: Publishing isn’t the only thing I’m interested in, but it is one of the many things I am interested in. And I think there are lots of people who don’t have the opportunity to work in this world who’d like to know more about it from the inside.

Be promoted: I’m on the lowest rung of the totem pole as an editorial assistant after a year of working in publishing because I switched houses halfway through this past year. There were lots of reasons to do this and it was the right decision for me, but this year I want to be promoted, with the long-term goal of signing my own authors.

To keep my job and be promoted, I’m planning on throwing myself back into the swing of things in 2009. I’m going to work on having a positive, confident outlook, and on getting my work done as well and quickly as it can be done to prove that I can take on more responsibilities. Since I’ve tried to get officially reviewed and just been told I’m doing well, I will look for ways to measure my successes and keep track of what goes well.

Starting a blog will give me some of my own writing training, as I haven’t done so much writing since college and I know I need the practice. It will give me a place to talk about publishing, budgeting, eating, and reading, all things I really love.

No comments:

Post a Comment